Skincare 101: Layering
We all spend so much money on our skincare regime, and there’s nothing more heartbreaking than feeling like our skin isn’t reaping the benefits. But the reason why could simply be the order you're applying your creams. It may seem crazy, but if you don’t apply your lotions and potions in the right order, they won't work the same.
The most important step: Ensure your skin is completely clean before any application.
The first rule is to apply the most lightweight formulas first so they can be easily absorbed. After each layer, give your skin enough time to absorb the product, at least a few minutes at a time.
How to layer like a pro:
1) Cleanser: Cleansing should remove any makeup or dirt from your skin while also adding a burst of hydration. If you wear makeup, you should definitely be double cleansing.
1*) Mask or Exfoliate: Additional step! Once your skin is completely clean, now is the time to do any extra steps in your routine, like adding masks or exfoliators.
2) Toner: Toning is the most important step (see our previous post for more info) as it removes any grime that your cleanser wouldn’t budge, as well as any minerals or chlorines from your water.
3) Spot Treatment: If you’re prone to spots or have acne problems, this is the time to apply your cream as it can absorb properly and start working its magic.
4) Serum: Serums are lightweight and contain a high concentration of active ingredients. The formula is made up of smaller molecules that are absorbed into the skin at a much deeper level. Pro tip: you only need a small amount of serum about a pea size.
5) Eye Cream: This is the best step to brighten under eyes, reduce any inflammation, and add an extra hit of moisture. Always apply your eye cream with your fourth finger (ring finger) in a tapping motion, as this is the weakest finger so you won’t tug or pull the delicate skin.
6) Moisturiser: Never skip your moisturiser. The right moisturiser will hydrate, replenish, restore your skin’s pH levels, as well as nourish and repair any issues like dry, flaky skin.
7) Face Oil: This is the most powerful lotion that you own. The small molecular structure of face oils allows them to penetrate deeper into your skin and hydrate at a much deeper level. They also repair and plump your skin, feeding it with amazing natural vitamins.
8) SPF: Applying a sunscreen every morning will protect your skin from damaging UVA and UVB rays. An SPF cream will sit on the surface of your skin acting as a protective barrier against the sun. Always apply this last.
Follow these simple steps and you'll be seeing a huge difference in your skin in no time!